FreeOffice 2016 is based on SoftMaker Office 2016, the current generation of Office software from SoftMaker, thus benefiting from the many improvements that SoftMaker has made to the commercial version. For example, it renders graphics even faster than its predecessor, which was pretty nippy anyway, by using several CPU cores, is compatible with Windows XP to Windows 10 as well as all current Linux distributions and supports both touchscreens and 4K (UHD) monitors.
Check out some of the additional improvements of FreeOffice 2016:
- Even better compatibility with Microsoft Office: FreeOffice was already viewed as the reference for seamless processing of Microsoft Office documents. The new version, FreeOffice 2016, uses revised file filters, whose quality was improved even further. The result: FreeOffice 2016 opens Word document in DOC and DOCX formats, XLS and XLSX format Excel worksheets and PowerPoint presentations in PPT and PPTX formats loss-free. No other free Office suite achieves this unproblematic interoperability.
- New EPUB export and improved PDF export: Directly from inside each of the FreeOffice applications, you can create high-quality PDF files, which now also include PDF tags, comments, tracked changes and bookmarks. A brand new addition to FreeOffice TextMaker is export to EPUB format which lets you create e-books from your documents at the flick of a key.
- Pivot tables and conditional formatting just as in Excel 2016: The latest FreeOffice PlanMaker provides pivot tables for sophisticated data analysis at eye-level with Microsoft Excel. Conditional formatting now works as in Excel 2016 – including color bars, marking of the highest and lowest values as well as icons for value trends.
- Huge worksheets with up to one million rows are now offered by FreeOffice PlanMaker as are additional mathematical functions and new chart types.
- Improved tables in FreeOffice Presentations: The old version of Presentations collated tables from AutoShapes. This changes with FreeOffice 2016 – Presentations now supports genuine tables, like those that can be found in TextMaker or modern versions of PowerPoint.
- With animations and slide transitions based on DirectX, new FreeOffice Presentations gives you a large variety of spectacular effects that make slide shows genuine “eye-catchers”.
Download FreeOffice 2016 today to explore its many new features!
Files and printing
- Documents can be exchanged between any version of TextMaker on any operating system with no loss of fidelity.
- Open and save DOC files of Microsoft Word 6.0 to 2016 faithfully, including password-protected files
- Open DOCX files from Microsoft Word 2007 to 2016 faithfully, including password-protected files
- Open and save OpenDocument files (compatible with OpenOffice and LibreOffice)
- Open and save documents in RTF, HTML, Pocket Word, ASCII and Unicode
- Open WordPerfect documents (.wpd)
- Document preview straight from the file dialog
- Assistant for importing and exporting text files in many character sets
- Create PDF files and PDF forms directly in FreeOffice TextMaker
- Tagged PDFs and bookmarks in PDF files
- Export to the e-book format EPUB
- Print 2, 4, 8 or 16 pages on one sheet of paper
- Send documents in a freely selectable format (e.g. DOC or PDF) by e-mail
Editing and formatting
- Insert fields, such as date/time, page number, author, consecutive numbers etc.
- SmartText: for example, type “asap” and “as soon as possible” appears immediately
- Calculation in both the text and tables
- Borders, shading, fill patterns, drop caps, paragraph control
- Hidden and protected text
- Paragraph and character styles
- Automatic numbering of lines, paragraphs, lists and headings
- True master pages, not just simple headers and footers
Functions for complex documents
- Outline view for structuring documents
- Track changes tracks all changes made to documents and enables you to accept/reject them later.
- Comments are shown as balloons in the right-hand margin of your pages
- Tables of contents and indices
- Spell-check in 58 languages with Hunspell dictionaries
- Automatic hyphenation in 33 languages
- Automatic spell-check: incorrectly written words are underlined in red
- Complex, as well as nested and multi-page tables
- Cells can be merged, split and rotated
- Repeating header lines (headers are automatically repeated at the beginning of every new page)
Graphics and drawings
- Comprehensive drawing and image functions integrated
- Draw and design directly in your document with AutoShapes that are fully compatible with Microsoft Word
- Insert images in a range of file formats
- Powerful graphics functions such as mirror effects, soft shadows and transparencies
- Change brightness, contrast and gamma of images directly in FreeOffice TextMaker
- Fill drawings with colors, patterns, images and gradients
- Contour wrap
- Connector lines between objects
- Large symbols library for flowcharts and org charts
- TextArt feature for type effects
- Fully Unicode-enabled
- Extended support for Asian fonts and Arabic
- FreeOffice TextMaker for Windows is an OLE server and can insert its documents in any other program.
- You can zoom and scroll with your fingers on touchscreens (only FreeOffice for Windows
- Support for 4K (UHD) monitors
- Full database module integrated for dBASE files
- Insert individual addresses in letter heads
- Application can be installed to a USB flash drive so that it can be used on any PC without installation.